As if the holidays weren't indulgent enough...thanks to Martha (and a good friend who put me on to this recipe), I recreated one of my favorite pies for a sweet treat. The changes I made to the recipe can be found below:
1 pre-made pie crust
5 large organic eggs
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
7 T unsalted organic butter-melted
1/3 c unsulfured molasses
3 T cognac
1/4 t salt
1/3 c semi-sweet chocolate chunks-finely chopped
1 3/4 c chopped pecans and 1/3 c pecan halves
high quality vanilla ice cream
1. Lightly score the pie crust and par bake it at 375F for 15 minutes-until it just begins to brown. Remove from the oven and turn the heat down to 350F.
2. In a bowl, combine eggs, sugar, butter, molasses, cognac, and salt. Whisk to incorporate.
3. Stir in chopped chocolate and chopped pecans. Pour mixture into the pie shell.
4. Top with pecan halves and bake for approximately 45 minutes, until the pie is set.
5. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, slice, top with ice-cream, and enjoy!
6. Should you be so daring the day after...heat a non-stick skillet over med-high heat. Add 1/4 T butter and allow to melt. Add a pie slice to the pan and quickly sear on cut sides. Top with sliced bananas. Mmm!